Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have so lots of new techniques and scientific developments emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides millions of individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and painless method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be deceived by expensive advertisements about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser. Find out who will actually do your treatment, then see this website inquire about that physician's certifications (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Choose a physician who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask exactly what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Ensure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount parachute. The possible savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Expect to see effectively after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a slightly different result. The very best cosmetic surgeon worldwide can't guarantee 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you seem like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the my blog benefits: for most people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of people worldwide.